We are very excited to welcome Elvis, our therapy dog, to Patcham House.
Pupils in the past have responded very positively to our ‘Pets as Therapy Dogs’, and we believe a school dog will enhance the pupils’ social and emotional progress. There are a number of reasons for this. Our school dog will be specially trained to work with children. We have undertaken a significant amount of research and are aware of many benefits to having a school dog:
- A calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties;
- Improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem;
- Encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children fostering a sense of responsibility.
- Motivating pupils to think and learn, as children have a high level of natural interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals;
- Encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers;
- Teaching children to nurture and respect life;
- Helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children, and educational improvements with low achievers.
- Helping children build confidence in reading.